12/23/06

WHAT GANG ARE YOU IN?

His answer kind of made sense; seemed fairly logical.

Three Junior High students were riding in my van. I am not sure why Brandon asked the question: “Do you know how gangs started?” I filtered the question to mean gangs in the United States: “No I don’t.”

I want to know the truth. Proverbs, the wisdom book of the Bible, says, “Buy truth, and do not sell it. Get wisdom and instruction and understanding.” There is a price to pay for obtaining truth along with wisdom, instruction and understanding. It will cost some time searching for truth; researching the facts.

I listened, allowing Brandon to tell me what he knew about the history of gangs. He answered, “The Mafia started them.”

This sort of makes sense; seems reasonably logical.

With no better explanation, I asked, “So where did you find that out?” Brandon replied, “Some things you just figure out on your own.” Brandon is smart, but now my brain started questioning his answer.

Later, through reading and studying information written by gang experts, I discovered the truth. I spent some time; I bought some truth.

So what did I discover? Brandon was wrong.

Several days later some of the same Junior High students gathered at a Bible study. The evening’s lesson? The Truth. First we talked about the history of gangs. This engaged their attention as I told them my discoveries.

Realistically, knowing gang history has extremely limited value. What really matters is grasping the words of Jesus. “You will know the truth and the truth will set you free.” He’s talking about the eternal truths of God. Life savers. Life changers.

Is there anyone so free of life-obstacles that God’s truth is worthless?

God’s truth is priceless. Spend your life in its pursuit.

No comments: