12/16/06

GOD GOT MY ATTENTION

He believes the Bible. “Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, let them pray over him…the prayer of faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise him up.”

I was a little nervous, intimidated even. The article I was working on had led me to Nigel Mumford, former Marine Commando, who is now a Minister of Healing. “What is it that you do Nigel?” I asked. “I listen, love and pray for those who come seeking the healing ministry of Jesus Christ.”

Hands trained for combat are now hands of healing. Fascinated with the complex life of this soft-spoken man of faith, I pondered the contrasts. Nigel smiles, “Yeah, I was tough, now I cry easily.”

Life, death; Nigel is prepared for all situations with the “prayer of faith.” Gazing heavenward, Minister Mumford prays; his hands are holding a baby struggling for life. Faith. “The Lord will raise him up.”

The basis for his now unshakable belief in healing prayer? Positive results-- “I owned a picture framing shop.” Customer-chats would often turn to the seriousness of illnesses. Nigel offered the prayer of faith. “It absolutely freaked me out...God got my attention.”

Nigel is in combat once more, willingly fighting a battle each day for the health and life of friends or strangers. Intrigued, I asked how his body and soul stay healthy. He didn’t take long to answer, “I do three things: pray, pray, pray…very deeply.”

Nigel said, “Sometimes in dealing with illness, the yuck of life, a quick prayer of faith is best--God, Help.”

Jesus said, “I have come that you may have life and have it more abundantly.” Lacking the fullness of Jesus’ promise? In a battle with sickness?

Believe the Bible. Pray the prayer of faith.

No comments: