12/2/06

FAITH JOURNEY

With a doubt-laden voice, he said, “Who’s going to read that?” My mind flinched, “You’re right.” The man who had baptized me a few years earlier, my spiritual mentor, was attempting to douse my burning desire to become a writer.

With no writing background it was hard not to agree. I had never felt a desire to write until six months prior when God whispered into my searching spirit a direction for my life.

“By faith Abraham obeyed . . . and went out, not knowing where he was going.” That’s me God; lead me.

I took a step of faith by enrolling in a writing class. A few months into the class the idea for a newspaper column emerged.

I carefully crafted a letter to Virginia Ransbottom, managing editor of the local newspaper. The whole time a war was being waged. Faith insisted, “I know this is God.” Fear ridiculed, “What a crazy idea; you’ll fail.”

I mailed the letter.

After an arduous wait of three week with no response, I made the dreaded call. “Ms. Ransbottom, this is Rick Leland . . .” It was obvious, she was very negative to my proposal. Fear punched me in the stomach. I kept talking. Relenting, she agreed to meet with me in person.

At the meeting, Joe the General Manager joined us. After a brief conversation, he said, “When can you start?” Adding, “Is twenty bucks a column O.K.?” I felt like kissing Joe and dancing with Virginia. Mostly I felt like getting on my knees to thank God.

The Bible says, “Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.” Has God put a hope in your heart? Achieving it lies beyond the probable. “With God all things are possible.” What faith-step do you need to take?

No comments: