3/31/07

THE RIGHT BOUNCE

“Good luck,” Pastor Jerry said.

His wishes were directed to my sixteen-year old friend Phillip. We were heading towards the church’s basketball court. Phillip was minutes away from his first game in the intramural league.

Phillip is real quiet. I’m not: “We don’t believe in luck. We believe in blessings and skills.”

My response may have sounded a little flippant, but it’s true. I do not believe in luck. And whenever someone says “good luck,” my brain goes, “Does not compute.” I know Pastor Jerry well. We both smiled.

So why don’t I believe in luck? Because, it’s not in the Bible.

I cannot fathom God looking down from heaven with a thunderlike voice saying, “Good luck in your basketball game Phillip.” So…mysteriously, by chance or for unforeseen reasons Phillip’s shots, dribbles, and passes would take the right bounce. Or at least an improved bounce. Just lucky.

Someone once said, “The harder I worked, the luckier I got.” Not suggesting luck, but offering a viable formula to success.

The Bible says, “Whatever you do, do as if unto the Lord.” So no matter what the endeavor, do it with topnotch excellence. If you’re going to play basketball, practice hard; play hard as if you’re on God’s team.

Phillip’s performance for the game lacked “the right bounce.” It was not bad luck. He had not worked on his game—some by choice and some because of the lack of opportunities.

Do you want God’s blessing in your life? One of God’s timeless gateways to His blessing is good-old-fashioned hard work in what He has for us to do. When you do this, the wind of God’s blessing will blow into the sails of your life’s destiny.

As the Bible says: “Blessed is the person who has God for their help.”

No comments: