3/24/07

KISSING THE CAT

“I finally got my son to go to the doctor,” Jan said. What’s wrong with him? “I think he has tapeworms.” She added: “I told him he got them from kissing the cat.”

I almost laughed.

Then Stacy said, “Tell him to eat pumpkin seeds. That will cut the tapeworms right out of him.” Jan agreed.

Now I’m really resisting laughing out loud.

I’m thinking, “Do people really get tapeworms.” I’ve never known anyone. Then toss in some cat kissing and a bag of pumpkin seeds; I’m in the middle of a fact/fiction quandary.

The Bible says in Job 15:2: “Should a wise person answer with empty knowledge. And fill themselves with the east wind?” The scripture is saying that empty knowledge, a supposed truth with no fact is not the way of a wise person and it is full of wind—worthless.

I didn’t say anything. But too many times I’ve tossed out my view-- thinking it was truth.

I definitely had an opinion. And from there I’m so easily catapulted into forming an opinion of Jan. Soon I was engaging in something I’ve been making a determined effort to stymie in my life.

Judging people. The Bible is pretty plain about it--don’t do it.

Later, I gathered the facts. Yes, people get tapeworms. Yes, pumpkins seeds are a folk remedy with high merit. Now as far as the danger of kissing cats; I’m still not sure.

But this I do know. Using empty knowledge to form an assumption about a person can be a disease far more harmful than tapeworms.

I’ve engaged in ungodly behavior. Yes me. God, forgive me. It is my desire to change. God, I will resist repeating this behavior which offends You and people. God I praise You; I know You will help me.

No comments: