3/17/07

MY GIRL FRIEND OR GOD?

“Brandon and Daniel think I’m going to Hell,” Timothy said. I didn’t know what he was talking about. Then he said, “I’m not going to church tonight.” I thought he was joking--he always goes. Either way, his absence would not destine him to Hell.

Timothy said. “We’ve got company.” With some quick observations my brain connected the dots. I saw his “company.” I had never met the sixteen-year old girl. Timothy glanced at her; she returned a slight smile back.

Two weeks before he had said, “Can I talk to you?” Fourteen-year old Timothy wanted “girlfriend” advice.

We talked about “everything” involving his romantic inclination. I cautioned him. He said, “She’s so pretty.” I added more warning and he rebutted, “She really is pretty.”

I could have given him numerous Scriptures to shore up my advice. Here’s one: “Each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed. Then when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin when it is fully-grown, brings forth death.

First a person thinks about doing something wrong. If they do it; then they must bear the consequences of their actions forever.

I can hear it—“Lighten up. He’s a fourteen-year old kid.”

Timothy’s mom had her first child at sixteen. Each generation back to Timothy’s great, great, great grandmother has had ungodly opposite-sex relationships. The family tree is diseased. Babies, teenagers, and adults of all ages are affected by these havoc-wreaking decisions.

Timothy chose not to go to church. Actually, he chose his girlfriend over God. But I know he will make a valiant comeback from this veer.

Timothy, at certain junctures in our lives, one decision can set the compass for our entire life. One choice.

Weigh your choices, knowing they tip the scales of your destiny.

No comments: