2/2/08

I’m Addicted

“I’m addicted to junk food,” Cyrus told me. His over-heaped plate of deserts at the church’s all-you-can-eat lunch was revealing.

Cyrus seemed to be asking me for advice when he informed me of his dilemma.

When I think of getting free of an addiction, Jesus’ mission statement in Luke 4:18 comes to mind. “The Spirit of the LORD is upon me because He has anointed Me to preach the gospel to the poor; He has sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to set at liberty those who are oppressed…”

Twice in His statement Jesus used the word “liberty.” To be set free. Junk food addiction is real. Did Cyrus want freedom from its captivity and oppression?

Probing a little deeper, I asked Cyrus: “Do you want to quit eating junk food?” With a slight hesitation, he replied, “No.”

Now Jesus can definitely set a person free from a destructive addiction. I know from personal experience.

Listen to these words from Jesus. “There is nothing that enters a man from the outside which can defile him, but the things which come out of him; those are the things that defile a man.” This may seem contradictory to a junk food addiction. That’s not so. For Cyrus, it isn’t the junk food that keeps him bound; it’s what comes out of him.

The word, “No,” came out.

That one word reflects what is inside. A heart satisfied to remain addicted is revealed. A heart not wanting freedom through Jesus. A heart defiled.

Then there is another type of heart. A heart that says, “Yes.” A heart open to the power of Jesus. A heart seeking freedom.

Jesus will provide freedom from any addiction to a person with this kind of heart.

No comments: