2/23/08

Healed By a Dime?

Jesus said, “I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of Heaven.”

Who doesn’t need to see and understand what it is about children’s faith that touches God’s heart? God help me.

I smiled, having just caught a glimpse of the beauty of childlike faith. Simple, unadulterated belief in God’s power.

“Look at this,” Devon said, as he pointed to a thumbtack-sized welt which had just appeared below his eye.

In a few minutes Devon and six other teenagers found their seats for Tuesday night Bible study. Now he was drawing attention to himself because he had a dime, apparently with saliva, stuck over the welt.

But soon everybody ignored this dime as we carried on. Devon engaged well in the Bible study with good answers and comments. Soon I even forgot about the dime as we interacted.

Forty-five minutes later the Bible study was over. Suddenly, Devon came back into the room. “Look,” he said. “It’s gone.”

His face was clear

I thought, “Did the dime heal the welt?”

Almost before I completed my thought, Devon pointed at the dime, “It says: In God We Trust.” He smiled big. Devon believed the motto stamped on the coin was linked to his speedy cure.

Jesus said, “If you can believe, all things are possible to him who believes.” He was talking to a man who desperately wanted to have his son cured from seizures. Hearing this, the man cried out: “Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!”

This man seemed to be wavering; not pure in his faith. But he asked the right person for help—Jesus.

Childlike faith. Pure. Unconcerned about what others think. Unwavering trust in God. No Devon, you don’t need a dime. Your faith healed you.

No comments: