1/12/08

No Friend

I knew I didn’t have a friend like Pastor Randy was describing. A former Marine, he included in his sermon the story of a soldier risking his life for a friend. With no concern for his own life, he had dashed into the midst of a firefight and scooped up his wounded comrade, carrying him to safety.

Pastor Randy then talked about the deep, satisfying relationship he has with his own friend Guz. I thought to myself, “Why don’t I have any friends like that?” I glanced over at my wife, reflecting on what a true friend she is. And consoled myself, reasoning that part of the cost of ministry includes forgoing some friendships.

Still it bothered me.

The next day a call came in. It was Mark from San Antonio. We had enjoyed lunch a couple of weeks ago when he was visiting my hometown. Our time together had stretched to two and a half hours. We had not seen or talked to each other in seven years. Even with the gulf of time, conversation flowed readily.

The reason for his phone call? He was inquiring about donating money to our ministry The Free Church.

The Bible say this: “Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friend.” Yes these are the words of Jesus. He’s alluding to His death on the cross. This makes Jesus the ultimate friend.

Yet when my friend Mark offers money to support a work which is a central focus of my life, he’s giving a part of his life to me. Actually laying down his life, allowing my life to go forward in what God has called me to do.

Thank You God for my friend. Thank You for showing me a true friend.

No comments: