1/19/08

High-fiving the Blesser

“Were you high-fiving someone out there?” Jim asked. I didn’t realize Jim and his associate had been watching out their window as I slapped the air with my hand held high.

“Yeah, I was high-fiving God,” I responded. Jim laughed. His co-worker said, “It’s a good day.”

This was a great day! A day blessed by God.

Jim is my real estate agent. In an hour the final papers would be signed to sell my existing home and for the purchase of a new residence. Through it all God had blessed my wife and I. God had blessed us with a quick sale in a very slow real estate market. God had blessed the purchase of our new place. And God had blessed us with a way to be debt free by switching houses.

God says, “Behold, I set before you today a blessing and a curse.”

A curse? Yes a curse.

Too many house-dissatisfaction stories arose as acquaintances became aware of my pending move. My desire to simplify and to honor God, stirred significant words regarding their own inner turmoil. Many own large, beautiful homes. But the effort to maintain this lifestyle is like a clinging curse.

God goes on to say: “The blessing, if you obey the commandments of the LORD your God….”

My wife and I felt God was leading us, commanding us to move. Consequently we experienced God’s blessing.

And then God talks of the alternative. “And the curse, if you do not obey the commandments of the LORD your God…”

Now the blessing/curse is not based on house size or gauged by lifestyle simplicity. It’s all about being obedient to God’s commands. First to the His Biblical guidelines. And then to God’s personal leading.

Today a blessing and a curse is set before you. It’s your choice.

No comments: