12/1/07

The Water Before Baptism

“Hi Rick, I’m getting baptized.” I recognized the caller.

It was Cindy, a regular customer for years at my wife’s store. I knew her because of my Saturday mornings working there. Many times while standing at the counter, she poured out life-challenges she was trying to deal with. At times I would steer our conversation towards God as an antidote to her stress.

She was very adept, at that time, of quickly steering the conversation away from spiritual considerations.

Cindy always liked books. And even the day she shared her baptism news, she said, “Do you have a book on baptism?” My wife’s store carries books. But for the first years of our acquaintance she picked up non-faith based ones. She maintained her stiff armed resistance to God.

Her life continued to be a struggle. Then occasionally she either picked out on her own or requested a Christian book on a certain subject. I don’t know the details, but she connected with a pastor in town. Down the road a few months, she started attending church semi-regularly.

Cindy began talking, looking and acting different. And I would hear her referencing: “My pastor.” Or, “My church.” She would also speak of other people affecting her spiritual journey.

It was obvious something was happening inside of her.

The Bible says: “I planted, Apollos watered, but God was causing the growth…God who causes the growth…now he who plants and he who waters are one.”

Cindy’s life is a beautiful example of these verses. A person being influenced by many people, even authors, as she’s nudged towards meeting Jesus as her Savior.

In the big picture: God’s doing the work. But, this scripture describes what each one of us can have the privilege of being. “…God's fellow workers.”

Great job! There are always openings.

No comments: