12/8/07

Harry Gets Saved. Part 1

I spotted Harry a few stores down waving both arms.

Harry was a stranger, trying to get my attention. The first words out of his mouth were: “I need the Lord and I don’t know how.”

When God places a situation like this before you, you don’t want to mess up. Now is the time to efficiently take Harry through a handful of Bible verses and then lead him in a sinner’s prayer. Get him saved. Right? Seize the moment.

I don’t see it that way. Jesus said: “No one can come to Me unless the Father (God) draws them.” Jesus also said: “The Holy Spirit will convict the world of sin and of righteousness and of judgment of sin, because they do not believe in Me.” The vital work is out of my hands. Only accomplished by God, the Holy Spirit and Jesus.

Of course I have responsibilities. So I was doing my best to sense the Holy Spirit’s leading.

“Have you ever been to church?” I asked. The finish line is Jesus. But where is Harry’s starting point? He sporadically attended church thirty-five years ago, saying: “I don’t understand.”

It seemed wiser to talk with him again. We agreed to meet two nights later.

But what if he doesn’t show up? Remember, God’s doing the work; there’s more work to do. And a no-show usually indicates someone unprepared to make Jesus their Lord. Most importantly, God is the starting point. As the Bible says: “Don’t you know that the reason God is good to you is because He wants you to turn to Him?” God’s passion is to establish genuine relationships with humans.

For Harry to complete his connecting-to-God-getting-saved circuit, he must submit his life to Jesus. Let’s help Harry to that finish line. Not drag him over.

No comments: