6/3/07

TOO FAR TO DRIVE FOR GOD

“Mom said you wouldn’t come pick us up,” Sarena said. “It would be too far to drive.”

For nearly a year, I had been driving eight-year old Sarena and her younger sisters Madison and Arryanna to church. They had moved unexpectedly; this was our first contact in weeks.

Pulling into the trailer park, I drove slowly reading the numbers trying to locate trailer 54. Beforehand I had weighed my decision. Was a ninety-mile roundtrip too far to drive? Two considerations were plugged into the equation-- my time and the gas money.

I turned the second corner, hesitatingly moving along the narrow road. Suddenly, half a block ahead Sarena came speeding towards me as fast as she could pedal her bike. Her huge smile and waving hand brought an even a bigger smile to my face.

Two friends were riding with her, “This is Casey and Alexis,” Sarena said. “They want to go to church.” We discussed details. Then she added, “Alexis has never been to church.”

My length-I-would-drive criteria melted when shy, apprehensive Alexis glanced at me.

The Bible says, “God is able to make all grace abound to you, that you, always having all sufficiency in everything may have an abundance for every good work.” I experienced an instant awe-of-God grace moment when my emotions grasped the gravity of God allowing me to be the first person to take ten-year old Alexis to church.

Sure it would be easy to merely think a child was being transported to church. But wouldn’t it be far superior to envision, in faith, for this to be a major turning point in Alexis’ life?

That’s what I believe. So it’s definitely a “good work.” Praise God; we can trust Him to provide whatever is needed for doing His good works.

No comments: