5/26/07

ARGUING ABOUT JESUS

“I didn’t come here to argue,” the lady said. The lady and her associates trooped door to door handing out flyers inviting people to attend a special meeting at their church. She handed my friend Phillip a flyer.

He glanced at it, handing it off to me. Scanning the literature quickly, I decided to ask some questions.

Phillip, who is investigating the principles of Christianity, heard me ask her: “Do you believe Jesus is God?” She said, “We believe Jesus is the Son of God.” I repeated my question: “But, do you believe Jesus is God?” She repeated her answer word for word. She didn’t answer the question. But offered: “Jesus is a god.”

The Bible says, “Let your ‘yes’ be ‘yes’ and your ‘no’ be ‘no.’” The question is one of the most fundamental questions of Christianity. A simple response should be either “yes” or “no.”

I didn’t realize I was arguing. My objective was for Philip to have a clear understanding.
Before the lady left, I extended my hand: “Let’s not pretend. Our beliefs are not the same.” She smiled slightly. We shook hands; peace was made.

There’s enough proof to provide a book-length explanation of why Jesus is God. But ponder this observation. God says in the Bible, “Do not worship any other god, because I the LORD tolerate no rivals.” And the Bible contains numerous examples of Jesus being worshipped. From His birth until His return to heaven.

For example John 9:38: “Lord, I believe! And he (John) worshiped (Jesus) Him.” Because Jesus is God, Jesus never rejected a worshipper.

Later Phillip and I discussed the disagreeing-about-Jesus incident. Ultimately Phillip must decide what he believes. My hope is that his choices and your choices will be weighed according to eternal accounting.

No comments: