2/24/07

FREEBIRD

“I’ve got good news; you’ve got pneumonia,” the doctor said. Clint seemed to grow two inches as an age erasing smile lit his face.

Two days earlier Clint had been rushed to the hospital, thinking: “Heart attack!” The doctor informed him differently and as he exhaled, a feeling of freedom engulfed his total being.

During ancient Bible times, any sign of leprosy caused that same heart-attack, gripping fear. It meant living misery; even death. Additionally, it always carried the guilt-jarring connotation that the person was sinful.

Only rarely was anyone healed from leprosy. Then an elaborate ritual involving a priest was required to complete the healing process. The scriptures say, "The priest shall then sprinkle seven times the one who is to be cleansed from leprosy, pronouncing him clean, and shall let a live bird go free over the open field.”

This freebird soaring symbolized the person’s monumental moment of freedom.

Freebird, the well known Lynyrd Skynyrd song, ends with these words: “Cause I’m as free as a bird now, and this bird you’ll never change. And this bird you cannot change. Lord knows, I can’t change. Lord help me, I can’t change.”

The lyrics portray a cycle in which countless people have been trapped. Rebellious, “You can’t tell me what to do,” easily erodes into, “Oh no, now I want to change. I can’t stop a life-crippling behavior.”

Jesus said, “Whoever commits sin is a slave to sin.” Jesus continues, “If the Son (Jesus) liberates you from the dominion of sin, you will be free indeed.”

Good news. Dramatic, dynamic life change can be yours. Cry out: “Lord, help me. I can’t change.”

The Lord will answer. The answer is Jesus. Only then will you truly be able to soar as the freebird God wants you to be.

No comments: