2/10/07

PICTURE THIS

Wow! Only $234. I needed a digital camera. An internet search churned up this incredible “deal.” The company’s website stated: “Commitment to complete customer satisfaction.” So I clicked my credit card information into cyberspace.

A few days later I received an e-mail from the company: ‘Regarding your order, call Johnny …”

When I contacted Johnny, he informed me that the ordered camera was programmed in Japanese and prodded me to purchase one programmed in English. Johnny said, “We’ve got a deal for $325.”

I paused, slowly gathering my thoughts. “Johnny,” I said “Are you telling me it’s going to cost me ninety dollars to have the camera programmed into English?” He responded with a significantly raised voice, “Are you calling me a liar?” Several times I tried to get him to explain. He kept repeating, “Are you calling me a liar?” Exasperated, I said, “Cancel the order.” Johnny tersely said, “Fine.”

No, it wasn’t fine.

I cannot separate a camera purchase gone awry from the filter of the Bible’s timeless truths. I sat in my office with my Bible, considering my response. The Bible says, “Don’t let the sun do down on your anger.”

Guilty. Was Johnny? The Bible tells me not to judge him.

I started praying, “God forgive me.” I forgave Johnny and asked God to bless him. I renounced anger, telling God I would resist its reappearance.

Why would I do this?

Jesus said: “If you have anything against anyone, forgive them, so your Father (God) in Heaven may also forgive your failings and shortcomings. But if you do not forgive, neither will your Father in Heaven forgive your failings and shortcomings.”

Holding anger and unforgiveness towards another person is tragic. It short-circuits God from pardoning the mess-ups in our lives.

Bring your life into godly focus. Forgive others.

No comments: