1/6/07

HIGH ON THE MUSIC

She described the sensation as being high at church. That was months ago. In contrast, on this Sunday Becky’s focus is on Jesus.

She talked about what was the pinnacle of her Sunday church experience: “I used to get high on the music.” This was not an expression of a drug manipulated brain but of a tangible response to emotional music.

Becky continued telling about the past: “And then all I thought about was where we would go out to eat after church and who we would go with.” She was being vulnerably honest in admitting her church experience at that time in her life was focused totally on her own fulfillment.

In Revelations 2 and 3 Jesus comments on what He sees in the church. While mixed with some compliments, He uses these words, “I will vomit you out of My mouth.” And, “Do you not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind and naked.”

His first words refer to a person who is cruising in the “whatever” mode in church. Maybe the music is the highlight with no real life change. Jesus’ second words address the in-need-of-nothing attitude-- I have everything under control, I’m in charge, what’s-for-lunch mind set.

Following His harsh comments, Jesus lays out the way of reversing the situation. “Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him and he with Me.”

Where is Jesus Christ in your church experience? Is your relationship with Him as if you are dining together? If not, do what Jesus said, “Repent.” Change. Refocus.

Everyone has a responsibility to revere Jesus, worship Jesus as the central theme of their church experience.

Truthfully. I need some fine tuning. How about you?

No comments: