1/27/07

PREACH TO THE HUNGRY

They clung together across the street-- nearly obscured by darkness. Four older teenagers; one yelled, “Do you have any food?”

I was dropping off kids from church. As I ushered six-year old Dakota to his home, I replied, “Yeah, I’ve got some food. Come over to the van.” Truthfully-- I had no food. I had delivered food in the neighborhood before; still I was surprised at their request. I figured they were alluding to my mom’s homemade cookies which the church kids munched on frequently.

I had zero food.

When they asked, I instantly thought: “Spiritual food.”

Minutes later I was back at the van. They stood in a line paying me uncommon attention. I confessed, “I don’t have any food.” And in a flurry of words I promised to bring them a batch of Mom’s cookies. I said, “But I do have some spiritual food.”

Surprisingly, Robert, Steven, Cody, and Allen held rank. I grabbed a pocketsize New Testament from the van, holding it out: “Here’s some spiritual food.” Completely opposite my expectations, Steven reached for it, instantly hiding it in his pocket. Of the four, he was the only one I had ever talked with before. Our longest conversation had lasted about forty-five seconds. I had injected God; Steven seemed disinterested.

The Bible says: “Preach the word; be ready in season and out of season…” The four teenagers continued to hold rank. And focus. This was definitely an in-season moment. I was ready; the sermon from church was fresh in my mind.

The under-the-street-lights-mini-sermon lasted less than eight minutes. By the grace of God, four people unexpectedly received and enjoyed spiritual food.

Jesus said, “This gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the entire world.” Your assignment? Stay ready; speak the goodness of God into hungry lives.

No comments: