9/2/06

SPEED, GOD LOVES YOU.

Is going only five miles over the speed limit really speeding? Well, maybe I was going six over. But Allen and I needed a boost to get to church on time.

Now my friend Allen’s theology is like a road atlas with pages missing. We both know it; we laugh. Once again his words launched a missing-page adventure: “If we make the next light it means God likes us.”

If that was true we needed God to like us for four lights in a row.

Well, God liked us on the first light, according to the Book of Allen 1:1. But I wasn’t converted yet. So I asked: “What about the people going the other way?”

Allen had the answer: “We’ll see who God likes best.”

Second light-- we made it. It’s nice thinking God likes me better. So if Allen’s theory is correct, would that person driving the immaculate Escalade be favored over someone driving a dented van with 186,000 miles? That someone is me. And I just made light number three.

Allen, let’s see if I can correct your theology. Kind of the why-do-red-lights-happen to good people quandary.

There are a lot of slices to this; here’s one. The Bible says:  “Don’t despise discipline from the Lord and don’t lose heart when He rebukes you. The person He loves He disciplines.” The Bible parallels this to a caring father disciplining a son he loves.

The Bible goes on to say: “God disciplines us for our good so we may share in His holiness.”

Encountering red lights in your life? Could it be you are experiencing God’s love? Could it be God desiring for you to experience more of His holiness? The Bible says, “God changes us from glory to glory.” Want to experience Godly life change?

Expect red lights. Godspeed.





No comments: