9/9/06

GIFTED

“He’s gifted.” It was as if these barely audible words were generated out of own my mind. It was the lady sitting behind me verbalized my exact thoughts.

The setting was a funeral for a twenty-three year old acquaintance. During the open-mike invitation for remarks concerning the deceased, a young man sauntered to the front. He spoke for less than six minutes. I was captivated by the near-poetic cadence of his delivery. He conveyed a message of hope with his compact, engaging use of words. Then he delicately tied a bow on the package, beautifully wrapping up his emotion grabbing tribute.

I’m thinking, “I need to talk to him after the funeral.”

Afterwards I shook the stranger’s hand-- Brock, and spoke of the gifting I saw in him.

As we talked, my brain was connecting to what the Bible says. “Every good and perfect gift comes from above . . .” That’s from God. And this verse is so relevant regarding God’s bestowing of talents upon people.

I was curious: “So Brock what do you do for a living?” He looked at his hands, made joking allusions to his seemingly insignificant factory job. This world needs capable people in these noble positions.

Still, I don’t believe God gifted Brock in communication for this to be his destiny. And he was not using his job as a bridge to his next level. Yes-- it was a pointing-finger challenge: “Brock you need to connect with God.”

Connect with God?

Yes. This “yes” is for everyone.

Look at your hands. Contemplate their astonishing only-God-could-create functions. Likewise He created you. Listen-- “You’re gifted.”  Now look to God; connect with God. He’s the gift giver. And may you allow Him to reveal, enhance and activate the special purpose He created you for.


No comments: