9/16/06

MAD FACE

“Show me your mad face,” Armani said.

My wife, Nancy, had just picked him up along with his sister and brother for an evening at our home. This was their first visit. So was eight year old Armani preparing himself for an eventual mad-face encounter?

Nancy caught Armani’s drift and answered him: “My face would look about the same.”

Have you ever wondered: “Does God have a mad face?”  

Yes, God has a mad face; He gets angry. Listen to these words from His mouth out of the Book Of Isaiah: “Because of the iniquity, the sin of his unjust gain I was angry and struck him; I hid My face and was angry. And he went on turning away and backsliding in the way of his heart.”

I don’t know what God’s face looked like, but it wasn’t a smiley-face-bumper-sticker moment. Here’s the deal-- don’t fear the face; fear the consequences.

Nancy established grace-filled boundaries; then warned Armani regarding repeated trespasses. “If you don’t do what we tell you to do, my husband will take you back home.”  Consquences.

Armani and seven other children were under our care for a cookout and swimming. We did not want anyone getting hurt and we require cordial, peaceful interaction between everyone at our home. All of this is for their benefit. This is the parallel with God. He reacts for our good.

We see this as God continues speaking: “I have seen his ways and will heal him. I will also lead him and restore comforts to him.” Now this is always God’s focus—heal, restore, comfort; draw us back to Himself.

Think you might have seen a mad-faced God? Is it time for a turn around? You are one redemptive prayer away: “Dear God, I’m sorry . . .”





No comments: