7/29/06

FIRST COMMUNION

“All the little girls get dressed up in new white dresses,” Mike said. With a few laughs, he also described the seven-year old boys in exuberance-restraining suit coats and neck ties.

I had asked Mike, “What does first communion mean to you?” Over the weekend he had attended his granddaughter’s first communion ceremony. I was actually probing for a more meaningful answer. So I refocused my question: “What’s the spiritual significance?”

Recently I had been replaying the memories of my first communion. At the initiation of communion, also called the Lord’s Supper, Jesus said: “Do this in remembrance of me.”  At age forty-one, I solemnly, with deep gratitude in my heart remembered that Jesus died on a cross for my innumerable sins.

Sacred music quietly played, my thinking had flowed to the heavenly importance of this moment as I stood in line. My wife touched my shoulder, startling my brain to take the journey back to earth. She asked me to look her in her eyes.

We held hands as we faced each other. Softly she spoke, “I forgive you for everything you’ve done to me.”

I became undone.

Fifteen years as an ungodly husband, the massive trash pile of sinful transgressions towards her was shameful.

Are there many life-challenges more arduous than forgiving people of the wounds they inflict?

Communion—Jesus said: “This is My blood . . . which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.”

Do you really want to understand communion, the forgiveness of Jesus in a tangible way?  Stack on the scales the sins Jesus has forgiven you; weigh those against the sins of another who you refuse to forgive.

Thump. My scale just bottomed out. I know I must forgive others, if I want to experience true in-remembrance communion with Jesus.





No comments: