2/25/06

BAD LUCK

He was serious as . . . as sin.

“Let me tell you something; this is something you need to know,” Ty said.  He knows his stuff. He’s been working at my favorite lumberyard for years.

“It’s bad luck to start a job on Friday.”  Hmm.

The ten plus inches of fresh snow, which was already delaying delivery of the first truck load of lumber to my job site, made me think.

But bad luck? Should trust in luck determine the direction for a Friday?

The Bible says: “Some trust in their war chariots and others in their horses, but we trust in the power of the LORD our God.” Maybe in carpenter’s language it might mean we trust in our huge four-wheel drive trucks and our competent workers. Plus more; say—luck.

“Ty you need to write this down,” I said. “I don’t believe in luck; I trust in God.” He laughed. I told him to deliver the lumber.

The truck backed into the driveway. Adam, the driver, slowly tilted the bed of the truck forming a ramp to slide the steel-banded load from truck to the snow covered concrete. Suddenly, as the wood started to slide off the truck, the steel bands broke. The bundle exploded, missiling lumber towards the house.

Adam bolted from the truck with an I’m-getting-fired look on his face. It quickly turned to a grin; I started laughing. Heavy timbers rested, actually touching the house, but no damage.

Lumberyard chatter would surely conclude that the dreaded Friday bad luck had capriciously turned good.

Bible truth declares: “I will say of the LORD: He is my refuge, my fortress. In God I will trust . . . blessed is the man who trusts in God.”

Now that’s how I determine the direction for a Friday.





No comments: