2/18/06

BIG CHANGES

“Graham has had big changes in his life this year,” the letter said.

I enjoy getting these occasional updates from my Aunt Cathy. You know, the brag-on-the-kids-and-grandkids letters. She wrote, “He is no longer an only child and he has started school.” Even at five years old Graham is starting to encounter some challenging changes.

We all know that changes, small to huge, can cause strain. Do you sometimes yearn for a simple unchanging existence? Many people do.

Aunt Cathy’s letter continued about Graham’s changes. “He is full of questions about God and heaven right now. One afternoon Angie (his mom) found him prone on the floor with his face down and arms at his side. When asked what he was doing, he replied: ‘I’m bowing down before God.’ Another time she heard him talking in his room and asked him what he said. ‘Oh, I was just talking to God,’ was his reply.”

Jesus said, “I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter in.” I believe that; it’s in the Bible. But why is it so hard to, with childlike faith, engage in Godlike ways?

I have no doubt that God smiled when He observed Graham’s behavior. I did when I read the letter.

Graham’s approach to God has reminded me of three things I need to do when big change strikes, actually even small change.

I need to maintain an active curiosity about God and heaven. This is especially true as the swirl of distractions absorb too much of my life. I need to bow down; humble myself before God. God I need to rely on You more. Me less. And I need to talk to God; He has the big-change answers.

Thanks Graham.




No comments: