3/4/06

DO YOU THINK YOU'RE A GOOD PERSON?

I asked the lady on the phone, “Do you think you’re a good person?” Instant reply: “Of course.”

I also asked a few other people. The lady at the gas station said, “What do you think?” Well . . . I don’t know her. So I asked some people I do know. My teenage friend Curt said, “Yes” as did my work associate Clayton.

My next question to Curt and Clayton was: “Why do you think you’re a good person?” Clayton responded immediately, “I love my family.” Curt thought a little longer and then told me how he thought he achieved good-person status because he didn’t do drugs anymore.

So, how about you?

Do you think you’re a good person? Why?

Let’s compare our goodness to God’s standard-- His Ten Commandments. Have you ever lied? Have you ever stolen anything? Have you ever used God’s name in vain? Have you ever not honored your parents? Have you always kept the Sabbath holy? Have you ever coveted, jealously desired something not yours? Have you ever made an idol, a god to please yourself? Have you always put God first in your life?

Adultery? The Bible says whoever looks on a women with lust has committed adultery in his heart? How about murder? The Bible says if you even hate someone, you’ve committed murder in God’s eyes.

The Bible says, “All have sinned . . .” We know everyone has failed to keep God’s Law.

If God judges you by the Ten Commandments on the Day of Judgment, will you be innocent or guilty?

Be honest; we’re all guilty.

The Bible states: “For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.”

Why don’t you receive God’s gift today?


No comments: