1/14/06

SURPRISE

It was no surprise that Jeannette had coffee and donuts waiting when I arrived at her house. Working for her is enjoyable. I was hoping for a no-surprises morning as I wanted to make a quick job of installing her new kitchen countertop and sink.

We rolled up the metal door of the delivery truck. Briefly looking at the countertop, the driver said “It’s cracked!”

He fumed; I headed into the house to inform Jeanette of the unpleasant surprise.

Practically running to the truck, disgusted with the countertop, Jeanette demanded that the driver open the box containing her $700 stainless steel sink.

“Look at this sink, Rick!” she said. Rubbing the sink, she informed me of its many defects. Truthfully, it seemed normal to me. I glanced at the driver; he looked at me. Optionless —we put the sink back in the box.

Surprising? Yes. Yet, this was trivial compared to the ultimate surprising event which occurred after Jesus’ death. Risen from the dead; people stared at Him in disbelief. How did Jesus respond?  On three occasions, He comforted: “Peace be with you."

Home from work, I checked my email. A friend from Africa, with the unusual name of Surprise Sithole, was writing to tell me about a Pastor’s conference.

In a country where $700 is wages for months, people walked uncountable miles to attend the long anticipated time to worship God. Events turned shockingly tragic as militant anti-Christian youth beat one pastor to death.

Yet Pastor Surprise’s email overflowed with situation-overcoming joy at the realness of God in his life and church. He left the conference with the mindset of the resurrected Jesus: “Peace be with you.”

This peace, which Jesus offers, cannot be bought. Given freely to all who come to Him:  “Peace I leave with you. My peace I give you.”

No comments: