1/21/06

5:55 DIET PART 1

Fat.

I could grab a handful of it protruding from my stomach.

God, help me.

God will. He says, “Call to me I will answer you. I will show you mysterious things you cannot figure out on your own.”  With endless get-unfat schemes available, I need help.

So God, please help me. The Bible tells us that our bodies are the temple of the Holy Spirit. Keeping our bodies in shape is of worthy importance.

This concept popped into my head. Is this from you God? The 5:55 Diet. God, this is a great idea.

The basic concept is to set a numerical goal which doesn’t involve counting calories or endlessly hopping on the scales. I’m not counting calories and I rarely weigh myself. Instead, I set a personal goal to run a mile in five minutes and fifty-five seconds within a year.

Thinking about calories and weighing myself causes hunger stirring food thoughts and a focus on my fatness. I would rather think about crossing the finish line, lungs burning, glancing at my stop watch seeing 5:55.

My first trip to the track produced a sobering 7:54 mile.

A few weeks later I was surprised when the only other person at the track noticed my straining as I neared the half mile mark. He yelled, “Steady.” And then as I neared the finish line he yelled again, “You’re almost there.” I crossed the line at 6:47.

But bottom line, the getting-in-better-shape agenda needs to be strongly tempered. The Bible says: “For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.”

Yes! That’s the true goal-- true fitness.

As we do that, can’t you almost hear Jesus? “Steady. You’re almost there.”







No comments: