11/18/05

GOD'S BUSY

The devil’s image with the words: “God’s Busy. Can I Help?” were stamped on Brenda’s t-shirt. Many people find this humorous.

Not me.

The Bible verse John 10:10 is often used in churches to define the devil’s attributes: “The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy.” He blinds people to the truth--not funny.

Brenda and her partner Richard looked desperate. They were just out of jail, nearly homeless, broke, and hopeless; in their thirties they were engulfed in a devil-destroyed lifestyle.

We had met a few days earlier. They allowed me to pray with them, asking God to provide jobs. God wasn’t too busy.

Arriving home an hour later, I spotted a help-wanted job listed by an acquaintance. I thought: “This is God.” Wow, a quick answer to prayer. I did some legwork and tried to connect Richard with this construction job.

Richard declined the offer, deciding in favor of temporary work with a traveling carnival. When I drove them an hour north to their new job, Richard was holding one of his few possessions: “I can’t lose this; it’s my lucky penny.”

When we arrived, their “boss” wasn’t there. None of the five people he talked to offered any help. Richard said to Brenda, “What do we do now?” She replied, “Why are you asking me!”

Unloading their belongings, we placed them under a tree. They decided to wait hoping for jobs and housing.

God is not a God of confusion. God had a better plan for their lives. Unfortunately, the devil and the lucky penny were influencing them more than godly advice.

They stood looking dazed by their decisions. I wanted to scream, “God’s not too busy.” But all they heard was the confusing voice from the image on the t-shirt: “Can I help?”






No comments: