11/12/05

DON'T TALK TO ME ABOUT GOD

“Don’t talk to me about God,” Robert said. “I know what you’re trying to do; I used to do it.” All I said was: “Have you been thinking about going back to church.”  

Early in our friendship, I felt we would someday be ministry partners. We met weekly to talk and to pray. This is when some of the most edifying God-conversations of my life occurred.  

Then one day Robert re-cracked open the door to drugs. Over the next few years he spent time in jail, on the street, the Gospel mission and in rehab. Our contact was sporadic.
When we reconnected it seemed Robert was heading back to God. His blunt remark shoved me back in my seat dazed.

How could a person once zealous for God, now be so distant?

My prayers for Robert continued. My wife prayed; friends prayed. My faith remained; Robert would return to the Lord.

Yet when he told me he was moving to Las Vegas to live with his alcoholic dad, I thought: “God how are you going to work this out?” Separated again.

The silent disconnect ended three months later: “Hey Rick.” Who’s this? “This is Robert.”

I was awestruck as he recounted his journey. After a brief stay in Las Vegas, he returned to drug rehab. While there he was invited to the church across the street. That Sunday, Robert went up front for prayer. The Holy Spirit’s power grabbed him; he instantly returned to the Lord.

The Bible says: “Not by might nor by strength, but by My Spirit says the LORD Almighty.” Through prayer, God allows us to link with Him in initiating the Holy Spirit’s power.

Now all my conversations with Robert revolve around God.            

Is there a Robert in your life? Keep praying!



No comments: