11/5/05

AWESOME GOD

I had twenty things to do, with enough time to accomplish ten. I was feeling the weight.

As I jumped into my car, the words from the cassette player put my mind into an instant gear shift. “We’re not as strong as we think we are,” the lyrics proclaimed.

I’m not.

The cassette was Rich Mullins, one of my favorite musicians. Oddly, I didn’t even know I owned a copy. Strange. I still haven’t figured out how it got there.

Did God have just the right song playing for just the right moment in my life? Can you let me believe this wasn’t a coincidence?

We’re not as strong as we think we are . . .

The greatest songsmith of the Bible, David, often sang of his weakness. And as an antidote, he penned these lyrics: “But I will sing about Your (God’s) strength; every morning I will sing aloud of Your constant love. You have been a refuge for me, a shelter in my time of trouble. I will praise you, my defender. My refuge is God, the God who loves me.”

Hit parade! That’s God. Start praising Him; the weight will dissipate.

I know. It happened that morning.

That cassette spun out five songs, quit playing and never worked again. It didn’t matter. I was singing and smiling. My focus was on God’s strength.

And my favorite Mullin’s song played in my head just fine: “Our God is an awesome God. He reigns from heaven above with wisdom, power and love. Our God is an awesome God.”

I can’t remember how many times I’ve cried while singing that song. That’s right. I’m not as strong as I think I am, but God is stronger than we think He is.







No comments: