4/23/05

WASHED-UP

Bill grinned, "Jesus is washed up." His comment on the painting launched my indignant mind into a multitude of directions to offer a quick counter response. But I was silent. We turned, taking another look at the unsigned, untitled painting at the art gallery.

The splashy watercolor depicted a laundromat scene. In the painting a mom and son were standing inches away from an array of front load, glass doored washers. Mom diligently focused on her laundering duties at the upper level washers, while her son stood eye level to the lower washers.

The scene portrayed a peculiarity. The son stared intently at one of the glass faced washers as if he has looking into a mirror. Instead of his reflection, there was the image of Jesus-- He appeared to be inside the washer.

Even though mom and son were standing close, they seemed to be in different worlds.

Just like them, my companion and I stood close; yet we were a million miles apart in our spiritual worlds. I am a follower of Jesus. He is not.

The Bible talks about this great gulf: "An unspiritual man does not accept the spiritual things, things of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them."

For my companion, who I consider a good friend, his mind has not pierced the part of my world which gives my life substance and meaning. Without Jesus in my life, I would be washed-up.

I turned to my friend and offered my appraisal of the painting: "Jesus washes away sins."

No comments: