4/9/05

CAN MAN

The oversized car crept into the nearly abandoned park. Distracted from my early morning on-the-go Bible study, I watched as the driver sprang from his well-worn ride. He looked a little worn himself.

He quickly went from trash can to trash can searching for aluminum pop cans. Their ten cent deposit, which is a nuisance to many people, was the can man's mission.

I thought--"I bet he lives in his car." I've seen his type before.

In anticipation of the can man asking for money, I had prepared a guarded response. He immediately approached me.

The can man plowed right into telling me his story-- he was excited. He told me he was collecting the cans for his kid's college education one dime at a time. He was determined: "My kids are going to college; they're definitely going to college." His next words left me hanging from the gallows of my condemning thoughts. "I don't care what people think."

Arguably the most wrongly judged person in history, Jesus, said: "Stop judging by mere appearance."

Guilty . . . My misjudgment still grips, taunts and thankfully reminds me.
Jesus concluded His thought: "Make right judgments." In less than two minutes of conversation with the Can Man my compass of judgment pointed to truth-- right judgment.

Go for it Can Man!

No comments: