4/30/05

POLARIZED

"Are they polarized?" I asked the optometrist helping me select new sunglass.

Good, that's what I want.

Later I ran a dictionary word search through my brain. "What does polarized mean?" Besides some vague conceptual thoughts, I was blind to any usable meaning.

Yet in my good-better-best conquest, I instinctively knew I wanted polarized sunglasses.

The word "polarized" stimulated my "desire" glands to salivate. From trinkets to twenty-year mortgage purchases, I'm vulnerable.

So are you.

Rich, wise Solomon, who lived thousands of years before the mall experience, understood. His words: "As goods increase so do those who consume them, and what benefit are they to the owner except to feast his eyes on them."

I bought the sunglasses. They're great.

But I know I need to guard what I feast my eyes on. I need to remove my polarized I-want-it sunglasses and see the light of the truth. I need to understand what's really important-- today, tomorrow, and for eternity.

What do I need to keep my eyes on? What does my life really stand for? Solomon had the prescription when he said, "Stand in awe of God."

Stand with me.

No comments: