2/4/09

When Jesus Died Again

I wanted to scream,“What are you saying?”

Michael, who I love dearly, had just let me know, he thought I attended a “dead church.”

He was wondering why God had sent me to this church. He made an observation: “Maybe God called you out there to wake them out of their deadness.”

I despise calling any church, which follows Jesus Christ: “A dead church.” I will even go further; using these kinds of words is borderline heresy.

But I admit, these same words have come from my mouth.

1 Corinthians 12:27 says: “Now you are the Body of Christ and each one of you is a part of it.” This is just one of many, many references to the church being the body of Jesus Christ. Each one of us and every church, who truly follow Jesus, are part of His Body. The church I attend qualifies.

Would a person say to Jesus, “Jesus, I noticed part of Your body died. That dead-church part.” Careful Jesus, if enough of You dies, You’ll die again.

No.

Those kind of words mock Jesus. And in essence, claim He is not powerful enough to keep all His parts alive and functioning.

Not one part of Jesus’ body is dead. And no church is functioning optimally.

Consider this: the biggest problem with the church is that the body keeps attacking itself.

From 1 Corinthians, these words need to guide us. “Now the body (of Christ Jesus) is not made up of one part, but of many…but in fact God has arranged the parts in the body, every one of them, just as He wanted them to be. If they were all one part, where would the body be? As it is, there are many parts, but one body.”

And every part is alive.

No comments: