2/18/09

The Nice: “No”

I ask a lot. My income is mainly derived from getting affirmative responses from people.

Consequently, my ears are also very accustomed to hearing words which indicate: “No.”

Recently I had a meeting with a very pleasant man, with the intent of developing a business relationship. He responded positively to my product. Not a hint of “No” in the course of several conversations.

Soon though it became apparent, he was not following through as he told me he would. Always offering hope in his words, while his actions proclaimed, “No.”

The Bible says, “Simply, let your ‘Yes’ be ‘Yes’ and your ‘No’ be ‘No.’” Easy to understand, yet challenging to do. It conflicts with our nice-person image.

Also recently, I was attempting to make business inroads at a gigantic Christian company. This is a reputable, Jesus-honoring business. Yet after being allowed to talk with someone, not a shred of Luke 6:31 was encountered: “Do unto others as you would have them do to you.”

I hung up feeling beat-up and defeated.

Just the day before, I was talking to Cynthia. I desperately wanted to hear “yes” from her. She works for an industry leading company. Not a Christian organization. Most likely, you have encountered their products.

While I was being very persistent in my sales pitch, Cynthia was just as staunch in her resistance. Essentially, she told me “No” ten times and ten different ways before I was ready to retreat. Yet the whole time she listened intently. Responded informatively. She allowed me time to fully explain my ideas.

And these were Cynthia’s last words to me: “Good luck. Don’t give up.”

The Bible says: “Gracious speech is like clover honey—good taste to the soul, quick energy for the body.”

Words have this kind of power. Even a properly sweetened, “No.”

No comments: