5/17/08

Decide to Be Great

“Let’s pray,” my wife, Nancy said. I smiled big just before closing my eyes, thinking, “This is cool.”

Kegan, Christopher, Halley, and Trenton instinctively set down what they were carrying, joined hands with Nancy and I. Then Nancy prayed.

Now let me set the scene. We’re exiting McDonald’s. We’re in the small airlock area between the outside and the inside. All glass doors and windows. Kind of an odd place for an instant-two-minute prayer meeting.

So what was so cool?

Our four prayer partners were all young children. To them fully expressing their faith and connecting with God in a definitively public setting is a normal way of viewing life. God’s totally real to them. So taking an unscheduled break to communicate with Him seemed natural.

I have to admit, at my wife’s suggestion to pray, I had a mental flash of the awkwardness of our overtly public setting. Thank God the thought evaporated almost instantly.

Jesus’ disciples came to Him and asked: “Who is the greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven?” What would you answer if this was the first time you had ever heard this question?

The Bible says: “He (Jesus) called a little child and had him stand among them. And He said: I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this little child is the greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven.”

The words of Jesus clearly state that the greatest in the entire Kingdom of Heaven is: “Whoever.”

Almost unimaginable, but each one of us could qualify for this stature. For me, God provide a glimpse of how it works—Kegan, Christopher, Halley, and Trenton.

Decide to be great: “Humble yourself like this little child.”

No comments: