5/31/08

The Christian Man Team

“He’s a Christian,” I said before hanging up the phone.

Heather had called me: “I don’t know what to do.” Her furnace was malfunctioning. She had no money. Or anyone to help. It was snowing and the temperature was heading toward single-digits.

I barely know her. And that’s only because I know two of her daughters from church. I asked a few questions, quickly realizing the problem surpassed my skill level. After a few moments the name, “Paul,” popped into my head.

Paul is a casual acquaintance. “Heather, I’ll try to get a hold of him,” I said. “No promises.”

An hour later the man I described as, “a Christian,” was at her door with tools in hand. He was willing to help someone he had never met at no charge. Paul was cordial and kind. Forty minutes later the furnace was running. And he was thanking me!

Heather was near tears with gratitude. She saw a true Christian man. But there was a lot she didn’t see.

She didn’t see John who I initially contacted to get Paul’s phone number. John didn’t have the number. But he stopped everything and started making phone calls. Chris got a message on his cell phone, quickly responding.

Next Paul was contacted. On his way home from work, he didn’t have the proper tools. A quick call to his brother Larry and the needed tools were secured.

Five men, without hesitation responded.

A Bible verse came to mind as I later pondered the whole scene. “How good and pleasant it is when brothers live together in unity.” Our bond of unity was our Christian faith. While good and pleasant resulted from this living brotherhood. We honored Jesus.

No committee meeting needed. No prior planning. Merely a simple expression of who we are—Christian men.

No comments: