3/15/08

Are You An Unsalted Surfer?

I wrinkled my forehead, shaking my head, “No.” How could I write a God-focused column inspired by a surfing movie? That’s what my brother-in law Bill suggested.

I actually watched the movie Unsalted twice. It’s a documentary about surfing on the Great Lakes. One brief snippet kept popping into my brain.

A professional surfer from California stood on a bluff overlooking Lake Michigan. His words stirred me: “They’ve lost the passion or they’ve never had it.” He was talking about surfing passion. But there’s an exact parallel to our spiritual lives. I could just as easily be looking over a massive gathering of Christians, saying: “They’ve lost the passion or they’ve never had it.”

And sometimes, those words are part of my own inner reflection.

Jesus said, ‘I know your works; you are neither cold nor hot…So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth.”

Jesus is essentially saying unpassionate Christians make Him sick.

Jesus also said, “You are the salt of the Earth; but if the salt loses its flavor how shall it be seasoned? It is then good for nothing but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot by men.”

At a recent Bible study, a young man’s words exemplified Jesus’ desire for our attitudes. “The atoms in my soul are just jumping around; I'm so excited about Jesus I can't contain myself.”

Everyday a new wave to ride on our spiritual journey awaits us. The decision of our level of vigor, vitality and purpose for the ways of God also awaits us.

Like salt, the path to passion is basic, simple—essential. Read your Bible. Pray. Maintain vital connections with fellow Christians. The level of passion you choose for these will mirror your overall passion for Jesus.

No comments: