7/2/07

WHO'S RUINING MY LIFE?

“I don’t care if I go to Hell,” Autumn said.

The thread of our conversation began a couple of mornings earlier. Autumn had called, telling about her brother-in-law: “He died of a drug overdose.” As we talked she injected, “I don’t think he went to heaven.”

Autumn is like a daughter to me. Every aspect of her life is important to me—especially her spiritual life. Maybe God was opening a door for me to talk to her.

Instantly I discovered she was unconcerned about her eternal destination. She kept talking. And soon the basis for her hopeless attitude was verbalized. Autumn was mad at God. Her brother-in-law’s death, her husband’s health issues, their financial struggles plus other problems; were blamed on God.

She said, “Why is God doing this to me?”

“God’s not doing these things to you Autumn,” I said.

I quoted half a Bible verse-- the words of Jesus. “The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy.” And then I explained: “The thief is the devil, he’s the one who kills and wants to mess up your life.”

Too many people attribute the devil’s evil deeds to God. This is confusion. And doubting God’s goodness further deteriorates bad situations. Also many times the works of the devil can flourish because we have opened doors for him to devastate our lives through sin.

In the second half of the verse, Jesus says: “I have come that you may have life and that you may have it more abundantly.”

The battles between the desires of the devil and the ways of Jesus loom large every day. So we must do what the Bible says: “Resist the devil and he will flee.” But don’t stop there. Pursue Jesus and the abundant life He offers.

No comments: