8/12/06

SALTY WORDS

I really hadn’t taken a close look at her, as she spent a long time browsing the used children’s books. But when she looked up at me, I knew the stupidity of my question. The words just slipped out as I realized she looked about fourteen: “How many children do you have?”

“I’m pregnant,” she said. “How old are you?” She told me she was sixteen. “That’s pretty young,” I replied, probably with that disapproving wrinkle above my eyes communicating even more.

My mind swirled around with things to say. The Bible says, “Let your words always be full of grace.” And knowing that the Bible continually emphasizes heart attitude, facial expressions should be grace-toned also.

I thank God, He arrested my thoughts. I heard a voice in my head, “She’s already heard, many times, everything she’s done wrong.”

So I started helping Kimberly find children’s books. And just listened. It was like a grandpa listening to his granddaughter hip hop from one subject to the next. Kind of strange, since I had never met her before.

Without proper words, it is difficult to arrive at an understanding of a person’s situation. The Bible verse continues; adding an ingredient to grace-filled words. “. . . seasoned with salt, so that you will know how you should respond to each person.”

That’s exactly what I was hoping for-- an opportunity to respond with a dash of hope, a dash of life direction, a dash of God into our conversation.

Kimberly looked through more stacks of children’s books. Casually mentioning, “I like to read.”  When the conversation took a convenient curve, I responded: “Do you ever read the Bible?”

Words, like salt can be used to sting a wound or enhance palatability. One repels; one attracts. How’s your sprinkling going? Need improvement? Me too.






No comments: