8/19/06

RESTORATION PROJECT

Chet was always talking about his 1933 Chevy restoration project. Then he e-mailed pictures: “Thought you might want to see the finished product –Chet.”

Wow, nice car!

With all his car talk, it’s difficult to wedge my world in. I need to e-mail him.

Chet, I do restoration also. Surprised? I found this 2000 model in a trailer park east of here. Looks sound on the outside, but I noticed a lot of inside damage. Her name is Samantha.

Monday I drove into to the trailer park. In a flurry, the regular kids claimed their seats in my van. And a new child was buckling up. “Samantha’s going with us,” Tyler said.  “Samantha,” I said. “Do you know where we’re going?” She formed the word best she could: “Chuch.”  Yes, off to Monday night children’s church.

Smiling at Samantha’s eagerness, I could have driven away with this precious package. I thought, “This is wrong.” I was a stranger and had never met her parents.

A child can sustain significant damage when they lack nurturing, love, and discipline. Six-year old attention-starved Samantha’s problems quickly surfaced.

Chet, the Old Testament closes with: "God will restore the hearts of the fathers to their children and the hearts of the children to their fathers  . . ."

“God will restore.”

Great.  Let God do all the dent-banging restoration . . . well, we know that’s not God’s way. God asks us to partner with Him.

Hey Chet, let’s take the “33” Chevy to the trailer park-- give some kids a ride. Maybe, you could talk to Samantha’s dad. He might listen to you. You’ve struggled. God restored you with His Jesus plan. Actually, He’s continually fine tuning you. Me too.  

Still, God allows us on His restoration team. And He’s looking for more help.

Are you available?





No comments: