5/6/06

JUNK OR JEWEL?

There it was in the Autotrader. “1994 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon” with 66,061 miles and a price of $4400. Could this be the vehicle God was leading us to?

My wife Nancy and I made the 102 mile trek, praying once more for God’s guidance just before we pulled into the used car lot: “God, don’t let us do anything stupid.”

Before we even drove the Roadmaster my wife said with quiet disgust: “It has rust.” And I’m thinking, “This thing is cool.” I was envisioning this cavernous land cruiser hauling a bunch of kids. Sure it was beat up; but then they couldn’t hurt it. Plus the price, the low-mileage.

After a brief test ride it was time for the private husband-wife conference. Nancy noticed rust, sagging headliner, loose fog light, cracked windshield and what is that smell? I was listening as I thought: “God, this is the car, isn’t it?”

Nancy summed up her view: “This is the ugliest car I’ve ever seen.” And to me I saw its funky, functional character plus the engine ran strong. I loved the Roadmaster.

Decision time-- Roadmaster junk or jewel? We faced the same question the man who allowed Jesus to die on a cross asked: “What is truth?”

Jesus are You who You claim to be or are you a liar?  Jesus can’t be both a criminal deserving death and the Savior of the world at the same time. Junk or jewel?

Truth seeking led us to thumbs down on the Roadmaster. Hey there’s always another used car. There’s only one Jesus. And He said, “I am the way . . .” He continues: “. . . the truth and the life no one comes to the Father except through me.”

So is Jesus junk or jewel in your life?  




No comments: