4/29/06

THE RIDE OF YOUR LIFE

A right turn and it’s two blocks to Lake Michigan. Three bicycle riders, looking Tour de France ready opt to go left. Cruising past a small enclave of shops beckoning tourists to stop and spend, they find their Sunday morning destination—breakfast at an outdoor cafe.
    
Within whiffing distance of the cyclist’s breakfast, other people arrive at their Sunday morning destination--a traditional white steepled church. Inside Pastor Paul Schneider leads the congregation in its first chorus. “In the morning when I rise give me Jesus.  Give me Jesus . . . You can have all this world, give me Jesus.”

Me? I was inside the church that morning. Yet, seeing the bicycle riders; I was reminded of my Sunday mornings nine years prior. Then, a long bike ride and breakfast with friends was what the day was all about.

Now, attending church and worshiping God seems normal while the other option is extremely abnormal.

Radical life change is sometimes referred to as a “Damascus road experience.” This references the Apostle Paul’s conversion from Christian persecutor to ardent follower of Jesus. Traveling down the Damascus road intent on imprisoning Christians, suddenly a great light struck him, knocking him to the ground.

Lying on the ground he asked the same question I once asked: “Who are you Lord?”

You can hop on your bike every Sunday morning, ride beautiful roads with good companions and eat lots of great waffles. Yet, it’s almost guaranteed, you’ll someday wonder: “Is this all there is to life?”

You may say that I’m wrong, claiming ultimate satisfaction in non-God pursuits. That’s unfortunate. You’re missing the ride of your life.

My suggestion.

Ride your Damascus road. And may God bless you with a time of lying on the ground asking: “Who are you Lord?”




  



No comments: