4/9/06

FOOLISHNESS OR POWER?

“Should I ask?” I thought.

Rob was at the house measuring for carpeting. I immediately noticed he was wearing a cross. The question-- does that cross signify that you’re a follower of Jesus?

So many people wear crosses, even though they’re not on the Jesus team. Strange-- it’s exceedingly more challenging initiating a spiritual conversation compared to conversing about a sports team identified on a person’s t-shirt.

I didn’t want to offend Rob. Well, confessionally, I didn’t want to look foolish either. Yet I know the Bible says, “For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.” Foolishness or power? We usually won’t find out without asking. Internally: “Go for it; honor God,” tussled with, “You’ll seem like a weirdo.”

Why are so many Christians too chicken to squawk about their faith?

Rob got ready to leave. Ineloquently, I jumped in, “I noticed you’re wearing a cross; what does it mean to you?”

He smiled, “Everything.” “You’re a follower of Jesus?” “Big time.”

Wow, Rob’s on the same team. Our conversation instantly elevated. And before he departed, he gave me a shoulder hug: “Stay on God’s path . . . that’s where our true home is.”

So is the cross you’re wearing foolishness or power? Foolishness-- Isn’t it time you switched teams? Isn’t it time you received God’s promised saving power of the cross?

And you power crossers, have you asked anyone lately about the cross they’re wearing?
Jesus said, “For whoever is ashamed of Me . . . (Jesus) will be ashamed of him when He comes in His glory, and the glory of the Father and of the holy angels.”

So repeat. “So what does that cross mean to you?” Again.

No comments: