7/16/05

WOUNDER DEER

Our neighbor called: “There’s an injured deer in your yard.” From my office I was able to watch the deer as it moved to within 12 feet of my window. The lower quarter of its right front leg appeared to be nearly severed. An up-close view of it licking its wound gripped me with concern for the pain the deer was experiencing.

A couple of days later, my wife and I gathered around the dinner table with some of her friends. Four girls ranging in ages from 7 to 12.

I knew their stories. As my eyes circled the table, I thought: “How much pain are they experiencing?” Maria, will probably never see her father; he’s a wanted man who tried to murder her mom. Daleesha’s “out there” behavior shows magnified symptoms of fetal alcohol syndrome, Jennifer, has moved several times recently including a stay at the homeless shelter and now lives in one of the worst neighborhoods around. And Tiffany’s every action screams, “Attention starved!”

As Nancy and I talked about the girls after they were gone, she commented: “They’re wounded deer.”

A couple of days later the deer wandered into the back woods. My deer hunting friend Mark said, “It’ll be O.K.; they’re tough.”

How about the wounded deer we ate supper with?

As a throng of commotion swirled around Jesus, he stopped everything to focus his attention on some children. The Bible says: “Jesus took the children in His arms, put his hands on them and blessed them-- He spoke kind, encouraging, affirming words to them.”

And maybe it would be something like this if Jesus blessed our guests. “I love you. You have so much potential. God has a plan for your life, trust Him to guide you. I can help you; ask Me. I’ll be there for you. I care what happens to you. I bless you beautiful children.”

God, help me bless children, especially the wounded ones that the swirl of life blinds me from seeing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that was awesome...bless your hearts