5/14/05

STRANGER

I’m inept when it comes to working on cars.

As I looked across the street I had a hands-and-feet view of someone working on their car up by the front wheel. I couldn’t tell what the problem was, but even with obscured observation I knew the breakdown was more involved than changing a flat.

I watched for a couple of minutes; the inner voice said, “Go see if the person needs help.” My mind went to all the things I needed to get done and my lack of even a cell phone to offer. Still, I knew the voice.

“Do you need help?” I asked. “Sure,” the stout, fortysomething lady responded. “It’s kind of embarrassing being on Main St. fixing your car.”

She was greasy. Two jacks were under the car. Her make-do tools were scattered around as she attempted to fix her rusty 1983 Chevy.

We pried and pounded and pried some more. And pounded some more. Finally she kicked the hub and the ball joint slipped into place. She put the tire back on. Then she tried to start the car--- the battery was dead. We put some jumper cables on; the car wouldn’t start. One of the battery terminals started to smoke. Oops! I had installed the clamps on the wrong terminals.

Frustrating. It would make a person want to scream.

Yet during the whole fiasco, this lady never raised her voice, she never complained, and she never showed anxiety or frustration. Her demeanor was peaceful—like an angel. Even when she kicked the misaligned hub into place, she was purposeful and gracious.

Finally, the car started. She shook my hand, thanked me, and even tried to give me the little bit of money she had before driving off.

Still pondering the experience that evening; I received an e-mail with this Bible verse: “Don’t forget to be kind to strangers, for some who have done this have entertained angels without realizing it!”

Was the lady an angel? Probably not. But . . .

No comments: