5/21/05

MUITO BOM

When he touched my hand, he touched my heart.

My destination was the prayer chapel-- that’s where my focus was. Walking across the missionary compound, a small hand found my hand, unexpectedly I has holding hands with one of the orphans who lived there.

I was thousands of miles from home, just off the east coast of Africa; the affection was welcomed.

I stumbled through some elementary conversation which consisted more of gestures and smiles than of the Portuguese language. Name and age are always easy to interpret. My new friend was ten year old Fanuel.

I struggled to communicate. “Father?” No. “Mother?” No. With his answers, sadness came over Fanuel’s face that pierced my heart. He turned, looking away from me.

Now what do I say? What do I say to a child whose parents are probably dead? A child who has probably lived on the streets and is hoping to bury these unpleasant, haunting memories.

I prayed silently, “God help me.”

“Fanuel” I said. He looked at me. God let my eyes communicate love: “Fanuel, es muito bom.” Translation: Fanuel is very good.

He almost started crying; so did I.

The simple phrase: “Fanuel is very good” impacted him in a way I never could have imagined. Later as I thought over his reaction, I realized that I may have been the only person in his life to ever tell him he was good.

The wisdom of the Bible says, “Pleasant words are as dripping honey, sweet to the soul.”

Two and a half weeks later, I hugged Fanuel and gently rubbed his short, bristly hair. I kneeled in the sand, looking him in the eyes for the last time: “Fanuel es muito bom.” I smiled inside as I saw the sweetness in his soul.

No comments: