9/16/08

Expecting God’s Goodness

Are you expecting God to do good things for you? The Bible says, “I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living.”

In this verse a choice was made: “I will.” This is true for each one of us. We decide what we expect. So I made a decision to expect to see more of God’s goodness.

And this is what happened.

I had just finished my banking when Ryan the manager noticed I was there. He asked me to drive to the back door to pick up some donations for my wife Nancy’s ministry—The Free Store.

Ryan’s very personable. And a Christian. He knew I was writing a book, previously asking about purchasing a copy when it was released. After loading the items into my car I said, “Just to let you know Ryan, my new book is now available.”

After talking briefly he said, “Why don’t you bring a few copies by, we’ll put a display up in the lobby.” Immediately I thought, “Wow, this is the goodness of God.” Have you ever seen a book promoted in a bank lobby? Especially a Christian one.

A couple days later when Nancy was doing her banking she took two books, business cards, and a couple of promo/info flyers. Ryan looked it over. He liked what he saw. Then he added: “Maybe the staff can read through the book during breaks…so we know what it’s about.”

“Wow, more goodness of God.”

Yes, arduous situations sometimes make God’s goodness seem very elusive.

But trusting God; having faith, is required when reaching beyond what we see. When we do, Psalm 23:6 can become a growing reality: “Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life.”

Expect God’s goodness.

No comments: