4/5/08

Jesus’ New Commandment

My ire spiked. Eight-year old Tyanna told me about a ritual she, her siblings, and a friend had undergone at a church down the street. They were told to lay on the floor as the pastor’s wife prayed over them. The thrust was to get these children to speak in tongues as part of their salvation experience.

A day later my ire spiked again. A Preacher was analyzing the Jesus-walking-on-the-water event. When Peter saw Jesus, he desired to walk on the water also. He took a couple of steps and sank. This nationally known Pastor, in essence, concluded and taught that Peter could have succeeded if he had had enough faith in himself.

Ire number one. Think about this. All of these children would significantly fail in correctly explaining the fundamentals of a salvation relationship with Jesus. Yet speaking in tongues had been elevated to the highest order. My suggestion—teach Jesus and the cross above…above all.

Ire number two. Believing enough self-faith could propel Peter across the water is flat out silly. Furthermore this high-impact Preacher’s attempt at authenticating this teaching is highly misleading. And spiritually dangerous.

Jesus said: “A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.” From my observations, those who were the target of my negative emotions are disciples of Jesus.

My ire was not love.

Jesus’ new commandment declares that a hallmark of a Christian is to show Jesus-like love to anyone who is a follower of His. Jesus left zero loopholes for exclusion.

If a person is a follower of Jesus, love them—no exceptions.

This means I need to change. How about you?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This blog completely contradicts your article i read in my local paper about your friend "nancy."

you wrote a little article about your friend “nancy” who claimed to be Christian but used tarot cards and drew some of her beliefs from Judaism, islam, wicca, etc. he basically insinuated that if she didn’t use ONLY the bible, that she was hell-bound. It pissed me off because using your reasoning 77% of the earth’s population is hell-bound. And I want to point out to you (even tho I have no stake in this argument because I’m atheist) that we have Christmas and Easter both drawing heavily from Pagan sources and in effect you are saying that since they do draw from sources outside the bible, people who celebrate are going to hell. Then we have Judaism…who’s main text is the OLD TESTAMENT. Jesus was a Jew. Christianity wouldn’t exist if not for drawing on Judaism. Then we have “do unto others as you would have them do unto you, “ a theme that occurs in many different religions, many of them far older than Christianity. Clearly, you didn’t get the memo on the whole “judge not, lest ye be judged" thing.

Also, I’d like to remind you how similar you are acting to Job’s friends who all thought they knew exactly what god’s thoughts on everything were and god showed up and laid the smack down and made them all understand that they most certainly did not.

Rick Leland said...

Anony,
Thanks for the comments.

Actually, I don't believe Nancy is hell-bound. I don't know, but I actually lean the other way--a little.

You're an atheist. I'm a Christian. I understand your belief--no god.

So why would it shock you and piss you off how I believe. I'm a Christian--trying to do the best I can.

I believe in Jesus. Even Nancy knows that. She actually enjoys reading what I write.

Sounds weird...I know.

Hope all is well,
Rick Leland