10/15/06

MANY PATHS

“Nancy, could we talk about spiritual matters?” I said. “I’m confused; maybe you could help me understand?”

Nancy is a lovely person, displaying the attributes of a wonderful human being. I have heard her praying. She plays blood-of-Jesus hymns; even singing along with her soft melodic voice.

But then I see her tarot cards, she tells me of her affinity to Buddhism, to the Islamic faith and she seems excited that an old friend, a former pastor, converted to Judaism.

I asked Nancy how she reconciles embracing all these faiths. She said: “For me, I believe there are many paths to the same destination.”  Meaning heaven.

While all the faiths she mentioned have starkly different, conflicting beliefs; the Christian to Jewish flip-flop seemed especially bizarre. I mentioned scriptural truth from the Book of John: “So Pilate then handed Jesus over to them (Jewish religious leader) to be crucified. So they took Jesus and led Him away. And He bearing His cross . . . they crucified Jesus.”  

Then I said, “Nancy how could Jesus be God and Savior to Christians; and a criminal worthy of death on a cross to Jews? How could they both be on the path to the same heaven?”

The Bible talks about people who get drawn into deception: “Because they did not receive the love of the truth that they might be saved.” I am convinced that Nancy loves truth. Her own words revealed this: “Would you be interested in being involved in a Bible study?”

During our conversation, Nancy often said, “For me,” then added her opinion.

For me-- I study the Bible for my truth. Warning! Deception is lurking. It will block you from getting on or attempt to knock you off the true path.

For me, for you—love truth. Love the Bible.



No comments: